Friday, June 10, 2011

ONWARD

I'm not big on reading. I enjoy it, but rarely do I have the focused energy to spend on actually finishing a book that I start. In March of this year we went on a trip to Phoenix, AZ so I picked up the new book by Starbucks' ceo Howard Schultz titled "Onward". After years of being a loyal Starbucks patron, and also actively interested in business concepts,  I was curious what I might find.


This week I finally busted through the last third of the book that has been patiently waiting for me to find free time. What an inspirational story! I think Howard is an exceptional man (even if he did sell the Sonics) and I enjoyed learning more about this company that sometimes gets a bad rap. I highly recommend it. I bought mine at Costco for $10 off the cover price.

And my new favorite quote, which I printed out and posted at my work desk:

"Grow with discipline. Balance intuition with rigor. Innovate around the core. Don't embrace the status quo. Find new ways to see. Never expect a silver bullet. Get your hands dirty. Listen with empathy and communicate with transparency. Tell your story, refusing to let others define you. Use authentic experiences to inspire. Stick to your values, they are your foundation. Hold people accountable but give them the tools to succeed. Make the tough choices; it's how you execute that counts. Be decisive in times of crisis. Be nimble. Find truth and lessons in mistakes. Be responsible for what you see, hear, and do. Believe." -Howard Schultz



No comments:

Post a Comment