Friday, August 19, 2011

THIS LITTLE PIGGY GOT... EATEN

Okay, that was a gross way to start out this post. Sorry.


My new favorite recipe is Pulled Pork! Typically recipes call for the use of a pork shoulder or pork butt (aka: plenty of fat) but I've discovered a way to do it with a pork loin (aka: much less fat!). We purchase the giant pork loins at Costco (about 7lbs for $18), divide it into thirds and freeze. This recipe can be modified with spices/flavors and so far we've enjoyed it as an awesome taco filler or with Country Boys' BBQ sauce and cornbread (which is what's on tonight's menu). Try it sometime!

INGREDIENTS:
2-3lb Pork Loin, trimmed of excess fat
1-2 quarts Vegetable Stock
2 large, or 4 small yellow onions, quartered
Spices of your choosing... just make sure to use a about 3TBS each (yes, that seems like a lot, but trust me it needs it). I usually use: sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, cayenne/chili powder, paprika, and cumin)

DIRECTIONS:
In a large pot or dutch oven (I highly recommend Le Cruset French Ovens) add your quartered onions, pork loin, and spices. Top with the vegetable stock (or chicken, or water, or whatever). The liquid should come just about to the top of the meat. Bring all of this to a boil, then turn it down to low and cover. Let this simmer for 3-4 hours depending on the size of your pork loin. It's best not to lift the lid at all until at least 3 hours have passed. When it's done you can poke it with a fork and it will literally fall apart in the pan.

NOW YOU HAVE A CHOICE!

For Tacos:

 
Tacos... yum!

When I'm making meat for tacos I like the meat to remain VERY juicy, so I strain most of the liquid out (leave the onion chunks in there... they are tasty!) but I leave a little bit of juice. Once it is drained I add a few TBS of taco seasoning and re-warm the meat until I'm ready to serve it. It should look about like this:
Juicy & delicious!





For BBQ Pork (sandwiches or as an entree):

Are you hungry yet?

For the BBQ pork I strain the liquid completely. After doing so, return the meat to the pot and add your favorite BBQ sauce to taste. I use the canned sauce from Country Boy's BBQ in Cashmere and I use an entire jar. Heat the meat up and toss/stir continuously over med-high heat to dry out any excess liquid. Stack it on a bun with cole slaw or on a plate next to corn bread and coleslaw and enjoy! It should look like this:

Caramelized goodness!

Enjoy!

1 comment: